There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Thank you for your interest! Contest submissions as well as free General submissions are open below, until midnight on Feb. 1 EST.
As a purely nonprofit organization, if you like what we’re doing with Slippery Elm, we especially appreciate your support of our mission in the form of a contest submission. Entry is only $15, and all entrants will receive a copy of our 2022 print issue. Thanks for considering!
Slippery Elm Prize Guidelines
- $1000 prizes in Poetry & Prose
- 2022 Judges: Benjamin Busch in Poetry, M. O. Walsh in Prose
- Submissions open annually in the fall, and close at midnight EST on Feb. 1st.
- All contest entrants will receive a copy of the winning issue and be considered for publication.
- All entries should be original and previously unpublished; all rights to the submitted works must belong to the submitter.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine.
- $15 entry fee for up to 3 poems (no line/length limit) or one essay or story (5000 words maximum). Multiple entries are fine.
- All entries must be sent through our Submittable interface.
- All contest entries will be considered for publication in Slippery Elm’s print issue.
- We welcome General Submissions from all, but those currently or recently affiliated with the University of Findlay or Slippery Elm should refrain from entering the Contests. Although judging will be blind, we wish to avoid any potential appearance of conflict of interest.Thank you for your interest!
Our annual Deanna Tulley Multimedia Contest will reopen in the summer.